Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Oh, before that. I read and sometimes I put my thoughts on those books here but I am NOT in anyway starting a book blog.. well.. at least not in this blog. This one was supposed to be my experience using the secret but hahahah.. well, that turned out perfectly well, didn’t it?

Back to business.
As mentioned previously, I L.O.V.E Suzanne Collins! She writes splendidly!

I love all of 3 books in the trilogy but I didn’t like how she (and the director) did with the movie. I specifically hated the ‘blair-witch-project’ style of camera shooting. Its dizzying. :p

The Hunger Games
The first book in the trilogy is intriguing- it wrecked my emotional yin yang. I cried a lot reading this one. But also it somehow made me energetic and in a fight/survive mode. I love Katniss’ kindness act but not quite in her surviving act. Its because I like Peeta- his sense of maturity and kindness. Somehow, I hated Katniss for ‘acting’ to be in love with him, although it was needed for both of them to survive. At least, she should hint him that it was for the game, and not letting him on. But then, this is needed to strengthen the story line in book 3. *sighs* the book is perfect, to be honest.

But I did have the need to take a break and hence, I read The Hunger Pains, right before (or in between) I read the second installation. Just to get the feel again but also to reset my emo state to be at cheerful mode. :p deng its funny. Bodoh funny, but funny all the same.

Catching Fire
Uhm.. to tell you the truth. Reading the second book wasn’t too exciting. It was needed to introduce and strengthen the new characters. It also showed how Katniss developed a more adult feeling towards Peeta, but hold your horses... nothing exciting happened.

Anger and frustration- those were frequent feelings I had while reading. Romantic? a few.

This is where they don’t give a fig about the outcome of their lives and developed their sense of rebellion. Another must have before starting with Book3. Okay, it seems my opinion on the second book is quite dull. But its not so bad. Its still an interesting read.

Mocking Jay
Now, this is where the story gets serious. It tells us about war. Its simple, really- you hate being oppressed, you want to fight back and usurp the current ruler. And, yes, it involved war. But, there it is. War. It’s not so simple. Though fictional and I shouldn’t be thinking about it too much, but I can’t help it. Its definitely thought provoking. The story is wonderfully practical (can I say that?) what I mean is, while you are reading a fictional story and hoping/ expecting a HEA, which she delivered, but there were also unhappy endings especially to good characters. *spoiler alert* I love Finnick and Prim but they ended up dead.*end spoiler* Now, in normal stories, you would want to lash at the author. But somehow, I feel that the story needs this- to tell that war brings casualties. War brings sadness. It cannot say to readers (especially teenagers- young adults) that war is the answer and everything will be merrily ever after.

Though, I like the ending, albeit not too excited about it- having (the handsome) Gale out being this sophisticated government intelligence whatever, and kissing another pair of lips, as quoted by Katniss. He didn’t do anything wrong but I was hoping that he knows Katniss chose Peeta and not him (is it obvious I’m in team Peeta?) and not because of circumstances. Not because they wont be able to work out because of the bombing.

Another thing I love this third installation is because of what Plutarch said

“… Now we’re in that sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors should never be repeated. But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We’re fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction. Although who knows? Maybe this will be it, Katniss …[This] time it sticks. Maybe we are witnessing the evolution of the human race. Think about that”

It summarizes somehow.

I wish I was reading these with my kids are in their teens. It’s really something I want them to read and ponder.

No comments: